My latest mini seminar at church was titled, “Raising Independent Children”. I read two books, lots of online articles, and some posts on Gospel Coalition. It was overwhelming. There was so much information, and everyone has their thoughts on the matter.
It was difficult to put together a mini seminar that lasted 1.5 hours. It really could have been 2 or 3 different sessions.
If I were to do it again, that’s what I would have done. And who knows, maybe I’ll have the chance to improve upon it.
I focused on these topics:
- How did Overparenting, or Helicopter Parenting come to be?
- Problem Solving/Delayed Gratification
- Mistakes are Good and Necessary
- Brain Development
- Executive Functioning
- Athletics and Extracurriculars
- Seeing this Topic with a Christ-centered World View
I hate to spend so much time on something and then only use it once, so I might see if other churches, preschools, elementary schools might want me to talk there. That might be a big door shut in my face, but hey, at least I can put myself out there… Stay tuned.